Friday, October 26, 2012

A Grandmother's Love and Legacy





On September 17, 2012 , Heaven gained a special Grandmother! It's still hard to believe that she is gone, but I take comfort in knowing that she is in Heaven and I will one day be reunited with her again! It still doesn't seem real that she is gone. Evey time I see her picture, it makes me miss her even more. Selfishly, I want her here and would give anything to have another hug, visit and phone call, but I also know that she is having more fun that we can even comprehend up in Heaven! I also know her heart is so happy to be in the presence of our Lord and her Granddaughter Kristen. I am sure they are having a sweet reunion and that thought makes my heart smile!

Patsy Conerly Davis was one special lady! She loved God, her husband, her family, her friends, and everyone she came in contact with! She was such a true example of the way we should all love others! My grandmother always wanted to know what we were up to and had been doing. Every phone call would end with I Love You! We would receive such sweet emails, phone calls and even facebook messages! I will never forget the sweet smile and joy on her face the day she became a great-grandmother for the first time when my nephew Ethan was born! She was so excited and just couldn't wait to see him! She was definitely a genuine person who loved others just as Christ Loved her!

When I think of my Grandmother, the following scriptures definitely define the type of love my grandmother shared with those around her.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.

John 15:12
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.



 
I can honestly say that I can't remember a single time where my grandmother said a harsh word about anyone or to anyone! Just to think about that statement, blows me away! Could that be said about me?? Sadly no it could not. What a testimony of the way she lived her life.

I have always felt like she was the glue that kept our family together. I have some of the best memories at my grandparents house every holiday with all my Aunts, Uncles and cousins playing football, hanging out or swimming in the summer time. I hope that just because she is now gone that doesn't mean our family grows apart, cause I know in my heart that's not what she would have wanted!

My grandmother was also one of the most organized persons I have ever known. Sadly, this trait didn't get passed down to me or my dad. Her house was always clean and everything in its spot, but more than that, every picture she had ever gotten or taken was in a album labeled! The thought of even attempting this causes me stress! Looking through scrap books she created when my dad and his siblings were growing up are just amazing! What a neat gift she left our family to enjoy! Maybe one day I will get motivated and organize my pictures for Mallory one day. My favorite thing I recently learned about my grandmother, was that she wrote in a journal every morning after breakfast. She would write prayer requests and prayers and different scriptures that were on her mind and heart. The few their pastor shared at her funeral warmed my heart! This was definitely a special gift she left her family.

Since loosing my grandmother, God has really been challenging me to re-examine how I am living my life to further His kingdom. Every day we have on this earth is precious, and not guaranteed! We were put on this earth for a purpose and that is to glorify God and spread the Gospel. I am challenged more than ever to be the Light and Loven that God calls us to be to everyone around us! When I die one day, I pray that people will have seen Jesus lived out in my life every day and not just on Sundays! Praying God gives me the strength to love people unconditionally just like my Grandmother lived out and how Christ commands us to! What a challenge and legacy she left to our family and everyone that new her! No matter how much I miss her, I will cherish all the memories I have with her and look forward to the day I am reunited with her again!




 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Kelly, I'm just catching up on your blog. Sorry for your loss. I think little girls have a special place in their hearts for their grandmothers. :)