Tuesday, April 3, 2012

We were put on this Earth to Serve not be Served!



About 2 months ago, our new pastor, asked John and I to have lunch. I kept thinking what in the world does he have up his sleeve!! As we were having lunch at Jimmy Johns, he starts talking about how there is a need for a new Young Married couples Sunday School class. The age gap in our current class is 20's to 40's couples, so John and I new this was needed in order for growth! Not to long after that, he just comes right out and asks us if we would start it!! Now, to be completely honest, at first I was not only shocked, but I was thinking he was crazy... I mean are we really qualified to lead a Sunday School class?? I knew John could handle the teaching, but I wasn't so sure I was up for the commitment that this entails!

After leaving, I had all these things running through my head. Here is a few of them:
1. I knew how time consuming it was for John to prepare a lesson each week, and selfishly I didn't want to give up that time.
2. I knew it would not be as easy to be out of town on Sunday now, unless we could find a sub to teach.
3. I was nervous we didn't have enough wisdom to teach young adults, since I consider my self one of them! At least I knew John would do most of the teaching!
4. I kept thinking timing wasn't right, due to wanting more kids ,and all the projects we want to do at our new house. Really I think the thought of such a big commitment was making me nervous!
5. I already help run the sound on a rotation bases for worship Sunday mornings, I teach the Cubbies class during Awana on Wed nights, help with nursery/extended session, and on the children's committee... do I really want to add more to my plate??
5. I also knew it would be so much fun to get to know some young couples and have socials at our house! I knew from experience that if there are couples that have no family here, we could be their family away from home. This is exactly how our 2 prior Sunday School Classes were in GA and FL! Our time we lived there wouldn't have been the same without those special teachers and couples! They truly made those years such a blessing! The thought of getting to give that back to other couples was exciting, but also overwhelming!

After explaining all of these worries to John on the way back to work, to my surprise, he informed me that there would never be a good time to us, and that's God's timing is always better!! Boy did that bring me back to reality and help me realize that all my concerns were silly and that God was about to bring us both out of our comfort zones!! Isn't that where we grow the most... getting out of our normal comfort daily life??

The weekend after Easter, April 15, 2012, John and I will start a new Young Marrieds Bible Fellowship Class at Hardy Street Baptist Church! We are both getting really exciting! I am hoping we have some couples show up!! We prayed and researched about what our first study would be and finally decided on "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. This particular book John and I have actually been through 2 times. Once at our church in Valdosta, Ga and once at our church in Tallahassee, Fl. It really did help our marriage both times we read it! I am looking forward getting a refresher!

I am praying that God will use our class in a mighty way to reach His kingdom! Praying God's blessings will flow through us to touch the lives of each couple we meet and that visits are class!

Matthew 20:28 says: "For even the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many."

John and I are excited to have been given this awesome opportunity to serve and can't wait to see all God has in store!

1 comment:

O'Dell Family said...

You know, David always has something up his sleeve, ha! SO excited y'all are going to be teaching this new class; it's going to be so great! I love the book y'all are going to be teaching. Thanks for putting yourself out there. Y'all are going to do a great job! Wish I were still a "young" married, ha!