Monday, November 10, 2008

God is always there!!

It's been a while since I have written anything, so I thought I would take the time to update my blog. Last week, I got the pleasure of spending the week in Hattiesburg, MS with my mom and dad, while John was on a business trip in Virginia. I had the best time! I got to see several family friends, my aunt Kathleen and my grandparents. I also got to eat at one of my favorite restaurants back home called Peppers. They have the best potato salad you can get anywhere! I really wish we could get this restaurant in Tallahassee!!

One afternoon I got to visit with my grandparents and I helped my grandmother learn how to cut and paste on their computer. In case you are wondering if I just said grandparents and computer in the same sentence I did! Believe it or not my grandparents are computer-savvy! When I met John he did not believe me when I told him they used the Internet and actually emailed me! I personally think it's awesome that they wanted to take the time to learn this new technology to communicate with their friends and family.

While I was in Mississippi, my mom through an election party on Tuesday night with their supper club friends. It was great to get to see all of these family friends that I have known just about my entire life! It also happened that everyone there was rooting and voted for the same candidate, but sadly he didn't win. I have since realized that even though I think the wrong candidate won the election, I also know that God is in control and this was no surprise to Him. No matter how hard these next 4 years may be, I know that Deuteronomy 31:6 says: "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you." I am so very thankful that God will always be there, even if the new president might make some bad decisions for our country.

I came across this poem the other day that I want to share with you. I do not know who the author is.

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways, all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way.
Grace for the trails, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, Undying love.
God, your love is so precious!
You protect your people in the shadow of your wings.
Psalm36:7

When I read this the first time, it really reminded me that no matter how hard things may get for us, that with God's strength and love we can get through anything. God never promised us a life of no suffering, but he did promise us grace, strength, and love to get us through tough times. More importantly than all of those promises, we have been given the gift of eternal life and that is the most precious gift we could ever be given.

Well I guess I have rambled enough. John will leave again tomorrow to head to Ocala, Fl for a few days for work. I decided to stay here, so we would save the money from having to board the dog. Well I need to get some stuff down around the house and this is about all that has been going on with us.

1 comment:

Keely Hollern said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! Good to see you're doing so well!! I laughed outloud at your paragraph about your grandmother! My grandmother is the same way and actually joined facebook so she could keep up with all her "young family members"! haha!
Keely (Tolar) Hollern